Renting guide

Renting guide

Choosing an area

Whatever the reason for your move, it can be a time of upheaval. Consider the following before taking a plunge into a new area.

Visit the local council website

Camden >
Corporation of London (City) > 
Ealing >
Greenwich >
Hackney >
Hammersmith & Fulham >
Haringey >
Islington >
Kensington & Chelsea >
Lambeth >
Lewisham >
Southwark >
Tower Hamlets >
Wandsworth >
Westminster >
Brighton > 
Bristol > 
Manchester >

They often contain lots of useful information on the local area, transport links and leisure and recreation facilities.


Visit the Office for Standards in Education (OFSED) website for all information on local primary and secondary schools as well as reports on nurseries and special schools, etc.

Renting guide

Public Transport

For information on the London Underground, DLR, Buses, journey planners, etc visit Transport for London.

Congestion Zoning

For information on what congestion charging is and when and where it operates visit the CC site.

Rent and tenancies

A tenancy agreement is a legal agreement in writing that sets out the rights and responsibilities of both landlord and tenant. It will contain detail such as the length of the agreement, the rent payable and what is and isn't allowed in the property eg. pets.

Moving in

There is so much to organise for a move that often important things are understandably over looked. Use the below check list a couple of weeks before to make sure you've got everything covered.

Change of address service

A new website 'I am moving' allows you to tell many organisations including gas and telephone companies of your new address.

Have you contacted your council tax office?

Contact your local council's council tax office to let them know the date you move out of your current property and when you move into your new one so they bill you correctly.

Have you redirected your post?

You can download the form from the Post Office website. It can take up to 10 days to set up and there is a charge.

Have you told the utility providers (gas, water, electricity)?

You need to tell them at least 48 hours in advance that you are moving. Pass on the details of your current supplier to the people moving in. On your moving day you will need to read the meters in both properties so the correct bills can be issued. When you move into your new home contact who you want to supply your utilities and suppliers so they can register you as a new customer.

Have you arranged for your final telephone bill and new connection at your new home?

You may be able to transfer your existing number.

Have you informed your bank, building society, credit card and insurers?

You may also need to alter or cancel direct debits you have for your old home.

Have you updated your driving licence?

Visit the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency to find out how at the DVLA website.

Have you updated your details on the Electoral Register?

The register is updated every month and you need to be included on it to vote. You can download the form from the Electoral Commission's website and then send it to your Electoral Registration Office, which is based at your local council.

Have you told the TV licensing?

Your TV licence will need to be transferred. You can do this online or by calling 0870 241 6468.

Have you decided what you do and don't want to take?

There are lots of charities that will gladly have your unwanted items including charities that specialise in recycling furniture. You can search for a charity in your area on the Charity Commission's website.

And finally...

After you've moved in you might want to look at the government section on Environment and greener living to read about energy efficiency and other measures for your new home.

A big thank you to the website for providing most of the above information.